Places to stay in Louis Head, Nova Scotia

We currently have 14 accommodations in and around Louis Head with other regional listings available for Motor Inns, B&B's, Hotels, Campsites and other properties. You can filter listings by the available types:

Louis Head is an unincorporated hamlet that is part of the Municipality of the District of Shelburne in Nova Scotia. It is on the Lighthouse Route. It is approximately one hour from Yarmouth and two hours from Halifax. It sits facing the Atlantic Ocean but is protected by a bay and natural breakwater. It is noted for Louis Head Beach, over one mile long with a wide expanse of white sand. The community is near Lockeport, Shelburne, and Liverpool. Local dining options include The Parrot's Pins Candlepin Cafe.

Wondering where to stay? The community is mainly known for Cottage or Rental style accommodations. If you are travelling in the area, Louis Head is located close to Christies Plains, Boxing Rock, Round Shoal, Sheepfarm Stillwater and Lower Wharf Rock.

Looking for somewhere to eat? Locate food options for Louis Head.

Not the town you are looking for? Try our Town Search, or use the Advanced Google Search above.

Selected and best reviewed properties in Louis Head

A Blue House

Photograph of A Blue House, Louis Head
A Blue House is nestled on ten secluded acres of oceanfront on a quiet sandy beach in Louis Head, Nova Scotia. Watch the sun and moon rise from the Atlantic and relax to sounds of the waves gently lapping at the beach. A large pond with an island adds to the natural setting of the property. A .....

A Blue House And A Green House

The Blue House embodies traditional Nova Scotia architecture that is over 135 years old. It has been completely renovated and updated to include a large great room and kitchen finished in pine woodwork. More than a cottage, this large three bedroom, two bathroom home is fully furnished and .....

Other local Louis Head information and places to visit.

  • Longitude: -65°1'0.1236
  • Latitude: 43°44'58.761

Things to see and do

Capitol Theatre

Located at 32 John Street. Independently owned and operated, the Capitol Theatre, originally called the Magnet Theatre opened it's doors on October 27, 1916. Built in 1916 by John Etherington (boat shop owner) and Frank S. King (boat carpenter), the theatre has been in operation ever since. From the days of the silent movies to today it has been creating illusions through film. Come and experience the past, the present and the future; the real, the not so real and the fantastic with us.

Birchtown Museum

Located at 131 Birchtown Road RR#3, Exit 27, off Highway 103, Box 1194. The Black Loyalist Heritage Museum features exhibits that pertain to the history and lives of Black Loyalists and their descendants. Included are archaeological artifacts, archival records & photos, as well as family genealogies. A scaled version of "Remembering Black Loyalists, Black Communities" is a part of our permanent display along with a depiction of the Black Pioneer Regiment. Operated by: The Black Loyalist Heritage Society Open May 18-September 3, daily 11:00 am-5:00 pm. Admission, individual $2.00, family $5.00, donations welcome

Dory Shop Museum

Located at 11 Dock. The dory was essential for the famous Grand Banks fishery. This dory shop, built by John Williams in 1880, was one of seven booming businesses in Shelburne that built thousands of dories every year for American and Canadian fishing schooners. In the middle of the last century, two innovative ideas revolutionized the Grand Banks fishery. Until then, the banks were so rich that men fished with baited hooks and handlines off the decks of schooners, catching as many fish as they needed. Someone figured out that, rather than fishing with a single baited hook, it would be more effective to hang lots of hooks off a long line strung along the ocean floor, just where hungry cod and haddock loved to feed. The idea worked, and trawl fishing was born. Next, someone calculated that more fish could be caught if you could spread your fishermen out over more ocean. How to do this? What about piling a bunch of little boats onto a schooner, carrying them out to the banks, and letting fishermen fish from them? Another good idea! Dory fishing was born. Sidney Mahaney puts the finishing touches on a Shelburne dory. Mahaney began working in the Dory Shop at age 17 and continued to build dories here, on and off, until he died a few years ago, age 95. When trawl fishing and dory fishing got together, a fishing technology was created that dominated the banks fishery until the 1940s. Dories were perfect for this role. Flat bottomed with flared sides, they could be easily nested and lashed in place on the decks of schooners. Dories were also cheap to build. In their production, Shelburne excelled. Until the mid-1880s, dories were built using naturally curved wood, or "grown knees," as frames. These knees had to be sawn from crooked wood such as tree roots. They were difficult and dangerous to produce.

Nearby towns

Louis Head is close to: